Friday, October 7, 2011

Ga'an review in Wire

Nick Richardson reviewed the self titled LP by Ga'an in September's issue of Wire. I feel that he successfully pinpointed the aesthetic values the band embraced when this record was recorded, although I wonder what led to his reading of the band to have 'a complete lack of selfconsiousness' while simultaneously having 'affected' grooves. In building his discourse on the 'outer limits of taste' he manages to peg my keyboard patches as 'shamelessly tacky.' Shameless is an adjective I can certainly jam on when it describes the sound coming from a busted Roland digital keyboard found in a basement! Robert Beatty's wonderful artwork gets a nod as well. Mr. Richardson's review was largely favorable so I will scratch Wire review off of my personal bucket list. Not sure what the current line-up is up to these days, but hopefully their next record review is even nicer.

wire review

No comments:

Post a Comment