Sunday, December 4, 2011

Installation of the Vizier

I am currently infatuated with the Doepfer A196 Phase Locked Loop module. The A196 is a fairly esoteric module, even by modular synth standards. So forgive me if I cannot provide an accurate description of it's functions! There are three parts; a square wave oscillator, a phase comparator, and a low pass filter. The three elements create a feedback loop that can be tapped at different places for different purposes. My PLL arrived in the mail months ago and I've been trying to figure it out ever since... Most recently it's been used in a flute patch influenced by the youtube clip here:

PLL Arabesque

It's a tricky patch to get right, even the basics to get it running require a fair amount of careful fiddling. I should probably write the settings down! Here is my work with the "PLL Arabesque":

Installation of the Vizier by jeremiahfisher

After exploring the flute a bit more, I am going to see if I can emulate the Buchla 259 complex waveform generator. The PLL is an important part of the Buchla oscillator, although I don't know how it's implemented. Final exams are just around the corner and I love a good reason to procrastinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment